Sunday, July 11, 2010

This week...

...I have been too busy to do anything. I haven't listened to anything new or made any progress with The Little Friend! I don't even know what I've been doing this week. I haven't spent a day at home in a long time. It has been a really fucking productive week though so I'm quite proud of myself. I even decided what I'm doing next year. I also got two coats for less than $20, a new dress, two Six Feet Under box sets, Joyce Carol Oates's new-ish book, two pairs of new shoes, a new bag and a birthday present for my mother. And I caught up with a few friends I hadn't seen in ages. Today I cut my hair and am in the midst of tidying my room. I even killed a baby cockroach that had been sleazing around my bathroom door. Anyway, I should probably shut up before this blog becomes a boring manifesto of self-love.

In my spare moments this week I have kind of been falling in love with this blog called Our Youth. It's about this cool girl who is travelling around Europe. Goddamn am I jealous of her. And I've been listening to Hot Buttered Soul by Isaac Hayes cos even though he's a wacko scientologist now he's still the man. Oh and Aaron and I introduced the new kid (he really is a kid), at work to Tool. That was pretty hilarious.

I did get around to watching Precious and Unmade Beds though. I thought Precious was very good, I don't really see why it got some really bad reviews. I haven't bothered to read any because I mostly hate reviews but maybe some people thought it was too exaggerated. Well, whether it was or not, sometimes it's just necessary to getting the point across. The story itself reminded me a lot of The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison which is, as you can imagine, one of the most heartbreaking books in existence. And I don't generally think of myself as having much of a heart, but stories like The Bluest Eye and Precious really get to me.

I think I would have enjoyed Unmade Beds a lot more if I'd actually seen it in a cinema. It seemed like one of those kinds of movies. Unfortunately I just got distracted like i nearly always do when I watch movies on my own. I'm watching Brick right now and as you might have guessed...I'm distracted by almost everything around me. I did notice the gay kiss in Unmade Beds though. Cool.

Anyway, I'm watching Brick because a friend from work told me he hated it and he wanted to see if I would too. Since we generally hate the same stuff. Kind of an anti-recommendation; "Watch it because I want you to hate it with me." But it doesn't seem too bad so far and you know. I'm a total sucker for Joseph Gordon-Levitt. And his character seems to be a bit of a psycho which is always fun. I think it's about high school kids or something. Some grumpy bro who wants to get his ex-girlfriend back. Ain't that always the way.

Anyway, here are some pretty pictures:



























Some of the above pictures are from The Victorian Catacombs of South London. Totally gross, creepy and fascinating.

No comments: