Thursday, June 17, 2010

This week:

Watched:

Fantastic Mr. Fox (U.S./U.K, 2009) - 10/10

All my South Park box sets arrived this week so I've been watching a lot of that rather than movies, haha. But I also got The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus out from work and I guess I'll probably get around to watching it on Sunday at the earliest. It got pretty mixed reviews but I'm still looking forward to it.

Listened to:

Karen Elson - The Ghost Who Walks
It's not mindblowing or groundbreaking or anything but it's still pretty fucking good. I've given it a few listens and my favourite tracks continue to be 'The Ghost Who Walks' and 'Mouths To Feed'. All up I guess I'd give it a 7/10, since I really only love those two tracks.

M.I.A. - Maya (I'm not going to do the silly /\ thing).
I haven't listened to the whole thing yet but I like what I've heard so far. 'Born Free' is great, of course, and one of the tracks (I think it's 'XXXO'?) sounds like a Britney/Lady Gaga pisstake. I love M.I.A. Fuck tha haters, yo.

Reading:

The Secret History by Donna Tartt. It had a great ending - her style kind of reminds me of Bret Easton Ellis only so much better. In my opinion, American Psycho is the best he will ever do. Donna Tartt dedicated The Secret History to him and I've since found out that they are old friends. Also, my friend who recommended it to me and I have created a fun game where we align our friends with characters from the book. I'm Camilla, apparently, and she's Richard.

I immediately started The White Hotel by D.M. Thomas after I finished The Secret History, as I'd been meaning to read it for years. It's pretty good so far. It's about Freud's analysis of a young woman called Anna. I have no idea whether it's based on a true story or anything, and to be honest I have no desire to find out either way. I prefer things that hover between true and false, anyway, and the longer they can stay there, the better. But anyway, The White Hotel is pretty fucked up. Really explicit and awesome. I'm looking forward to reading more of it tomorrow, I'm not quite halfway through yet. I will end with a fantastic quote from this book:

"A Lutheran pastor said hesitantly that he had seen a breast flying through the yew trees when he had strolled up to the church one evening before dinner. "I thought at first it was a bat," he said, "but the nipple was clearly visible."'

No comments: