Saturday, April 2, 2011

The winners of the David Lynch music video contest.

Last year, David Lynch and the website genero.tv ran a competition for film-makers to create videos for Lynch's songs 'Good Day Today' and 'I Know' in the space of a month (between the 29th of November and the 25th of December). I don't know why I only heard about this today.

Both of the winning videos are incredibly haunting and appropriately Lynchian.

The first is for 'Good Day Today' and was made by Arnold de Parscau, a French film student who is only 22. Younger than me. That's depressing! But anyway, this video is a total work of art. Stunning. The description, "A little boy is having dinner with his family", wildly belies the true darkness of this video.


This one is for Lynch's song 'I Know'. A very different sound from 'Good Day Today', but that's David Lynch for you. I think I prefer this song, actually.
The video was directed by Tamar Drachli and is about a man obsessively trying to get his ex-girlfriend to come back to him. His weapon of choice? A remote control. Disturbing in an entirely different way to de Parscau's video although they both have a revenge/retribution theme which I really like.


You can view all the finalists here. Which is what I think I'll do right now; I may update this post later with some of my favourites, if I have any. I'll have a thorough browse of this website anyway, it seems pretty great.

No comments: